What is pH? It’s measure of acidity or alkalinity of water soluble substances (pH stands for ‘potential of Hydrogen’). A pH value is a number from 1 to 14, with 7 as the middle point, which would be considered normal. Or balanced. Values below 7 indicate acidity which increases as the number decreases, 1 being the most acidic.
While you may not actually give a second thought to your pH balance, you should. Here are a few symptoms of a low pH balance:
- Rapid and shallow breathing
- Lack of appetite
These are a few of the main ones. So, what can you do to keep your pH in balance? Mostly, eat the right foods and exercise. Oh, not that again. Yes, surprise. It works for everything.
Balancing your pH
It’s true, but yet again it’s the old proper diet and exercise routine.
Regular exercise helps keep your weight down, it helps you sleep better and helps your mood. You will be better prepared to get through the stresses of the day with the proper amount of exercise.
No one expects you to go out and run a marathon, but you do need to find something you do enjoy doing and make it part of your routine. Walking, bike riding, yoga, an aerobics class at the gym or your exercises of own design.
Drink plenty of water. Always. Not just for your pH balance. Water moves all the toxins, chemicals and the food you may have trouble digesting through the body. It flushes you out and keeps everything moving and working.
It helps your skin, your hair and everything else. Add some lemon to it for taste but also to alkalize your water and you. Drink it warm or even hot for the best results. There is also a bottled water available that is more alkaline to help you further balance your pH levels.
Eat Your Veggies
Leafy greens, wheatgrass, veggies, sprouts, certain fruits, nuts and seeds, some types of grains and seaweeds flood our bodies with vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll and phytonutrient. And alkalinity. Unhealthy cells (like cancer cells) or viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms die in oxygen. They prefer an acidic diet high in animal products, processed and refined foods, and synthetic chemicals.
Here are some of the prefered foods you should choose: mushrooms, citrus, dates, raisins, spinach, grapefruit, tomatoes, avocado, summer black radish, alfalfa grass, barley grass, cucumber, kale, jicama, wheat grass, broccoli, oregano, garlic, ginger, green beans, endive, cabbage, celery, red beet, watermelon, figs and ripe bananas.
Try to eat a good portion of your produce raw. Uncooked fruits and vegetables are said to be biogenic or “life-giving.” Cooking foods depletes alkalizing minerals. Increase your intake of raw foods, and try juicing or lightly steaming fruits and vegetables.
Plant proteins: Almonds, navy beans, lima beans and most other beans are good choices.
Here’s the list to avoid. See many of your favorites?
Anti-Alkaline Foods and Habits:
- Foods that contribute most to acidity include:
- High-sodium foods: Processed foods contain tons of sodium chloride, which is table salt, which constricts blood vessels and creates acidity.
- Cold cuts and conventional meats
- Processed cereals (such as corn flakes)
- Caffeinated drinks and alcohol
- Oats and whole wheat products: All grains, whole or not, create acidity in the body. Americans ingest most of their plant food quota in the form of processed corn or wheat.
- Milk: Calcium-rich dairy products cause some of the highest rates of osteoporosis. That’s because they create acidity in the body. When your bloodstream gets too acidic, it takes calcium from the bones to balance out the pH level. So the best way to prevent osteoporosis is to eat lots of alkaline green leafy veggies.
- Peanuts and walnuts, pasta, rice, bread and packaged grain products.
Here are the heavy-hitters
- Alcohol and drug use
- High caffeine intake
- Antibiotic overuse
- Artificial sweeteners
- Chronic stress
- Add in no exercise, stress, hormones from meat and exposure to harsh chemicals like exhaust, toxic cleaners and radiation from our favorite devices.
Find a few small ways to start changing your diet and ways of life to find peace, balance and pH balance. Even a few small changes will make a lot of noticeable difference in a very short time.