Essentials to Know When Shopping for Plus-Size Cocktail Dresses
Women wear cocktail dresses on special occasions like weddings, birthdays, and events that are neither formal nor casual. It is more sophisticated than your usual party outfits but a tad less formal than your ball gown.
A cocktail dress comes in various designs and styles that do not only fit one’s personality but complement one’s body type as well. If you are a full-figured woman, you will be pleased to know that there are now numerous Plus Size Cocktail Dresses you can choose and purchase. Just find the perfect outfit that will boost your confidence and make you look (and feel) good.
What are the Rules to Remember When Shopping for Plus Size Cocktail Dresses?
There are many things you should consider when buying a cocktail dress for full-figured women. But if you do not have the patience to think through all of them, here are the rules you should remember to ensure you will be on the right track:
- Go for the classic. Afraid of committing fashion blunder? Stick with the classic. For instance, you can never go wrong wearing a little black dress (LBD). Psychologists assert that wearing classic pieces like the infamous LBD generally project a positive image.
- Choose a dress that creates an impression of a smaller waist. Find a dress that creates an illusion of a smaller waist for you. Look for the right cut or pattern or dresses that make use of the color-blocking technique.
You can also opt for a piece that flows outward from the waist down or, if needed, use belts and other accessories to create an hourglass silhouette.
- Pick a dress that flatters your assets. Identify your most attractive physical feature and pick a dress that draws attention to them without necessarily wearing a piece that is too revealing or skimpy. If you have a gorgeous neck, wear an outfit with a scoop or a sweetheart neckline.
A Few Good Choices
Apart from the usual empire-cut and A-line dresses, there are other style options that you can consider when shopping for Plus Size Cocktail Dresses, such as the following:
- Ruched dress. A design created by pleating or gathering the fabric, which provides a slimming effect.
- Wrap dress. A dress style created by “wrapping” one side of the clothing over the other to comfortably hug the body. It is one of the most slimming dress styles and can be worn by women regardless of age, height, and body type.
- Twist dress. This dress style also features a ruching technique to create a flattering silhouette.
- Maxi dress. A dress style with a long flowy skirt that can flatter a plus-size figure. You may choose a maxi dress with a V-neck or open neckline and a side slit to create a more pleasing shape.
Wearing a cocktail dress that fits perfectly and looks good on you will not only create a physical change but a positive internal change as well. Just observe the disposition of those who went through makeovers.
Photos courtesy of gettyimages.com