Have you been sitting in front of our computer for hours thinking of a beat? Are you racking your brain for a rhythm or tune?
Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Even the most creative music geniuses sometimes get into a rut. But don’t fret. There is still hope to create the next breakthrough sound. Have a look at the following tips:
- React to Visual Stimuli – There is an essential link between audio and visuals. Magic happens when you allow your senses to work together harmoniously. What you see can stimulate your creative energy. Serum Skins, for example, can put you in the right mood to get the creative juices flowing. Changing the look of your synthesizer can do wonders for your process. There are Serum Skins that match any style or genre.
- Go Ahead and Merge Ideas – Remember Bohemian Rhapsody? It’s a classic example of a mash-up of ideas that worked. If Freddie Mercury wasn’t gung-ho enough to combine tempos and melodies, we would not be listening to one of the most iconic songs of all time.
- Curate a List of Your Favorite MusicMake Spotify your creative ally – Create a playlist of your favorite songs and listen to them repeatedly. Before you know it, a melody will hit you and open a floodgate of ideas.
- Create a Conducive Workspace – Clutter interferes with your creative process. It’s a stimulus that you do not need. A clean studio allows positive energy to flow and will make you feel good. Check your lighting and ventilation as well. Your environment always has a significant effect on your well-being.
- Get Tools to Help You Started – There is a synthesizer preset that could help you jumpstart your music production. It can serve as a foundation for your music. You can also study and deconstruct them to get you moving.
- Set a Time Limit – Sometimes, a sense of urgency can compel you to do your best. Remember back in high school when you were able to write an A+ paper the night before the deadline? Summon that feeling. Use the surge of creativity to propel you to create.
- Stick to a Routine – Observe your most creative moments. Is it in the wee hours of the morning or dead into the night? When you finally pin it down, create music at the exact time every day. Having a routine will help you master your skills.
- Listen to Your Body – Maybe what you’re feeling is not a creative rut. Perhaps you’re just tired and could not think clearly. Having plenty of rest can recharge your creative batteries. Even humans need to shut down too.
- Go Out and Have Fun – Taking a break from music may do wonders for your creativity. A change of scenery or a new fun experience could spark an idea. Try connecting with friends and collect happy vibes.
- Attend a Concert or a Music Festival – Nothing gives more inspiration than listening to music performed live. Being in a place teeming with artists and music fans will provide you with that much-needed urge to create tunes and make people happy.
Creating music is a journey of the heart, mind, and soul. One cannot work without the other. Learn to nourish them with these tips and get your mojo back.